Friday, March 4, 2011

Technology can Enhance or Replace Services

I work in a circulation department, and I often wonder if I will be completely replaced in the future by the self-check-out machine, which at the moment is a service which enhances my job role. I have noticed that many patrons prefer to use the self-checkout. Most of the patrons I serve need to speak to a person becasue they have problems or issues. They may want to pay cash for a fine or a DVD rental, a functionality that the machine can not handle (yet!), or they need more information about their account than they can access from the machine.Of course, there are people who prefer a face-to face service too, but it's no longer essential.

Virtual reference is another service which is enhancing face-to- face reference, and is even more convenient when it is operated 24/7, in which case it is often replacing the face to face service. Virtual reference is a fantastic service, especially for remote users, or people who need to use services at irregular hours, not everyone is able to come into the library between 9 and 5.

At the moment these relatively new services seem to be enhancing service to patrons, they are an addition to the service, working hand in hand with face-to-face services. However, I don't think its unreasonable to speculate that one day these types of services could entirely replace staff. It almost seems like a logical way to save money. Libraries are already offering more online services such as e-books and databases and online language programs, and we already have fully digital libraries. Technolgy skills are going to be essential for anyone who wants to work in this environment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that most patrons prefer to use self checkout if they have that option. When I was doing a library observation at the Escondido library the self checkout was used about 80% of the time.

    I do not believe the staff will be "entirely" replaced because no matter how convenient technology is, it is impossible for it to answer every question and it can stop working for a variety of reasons. Also, even if you think the directions are very clear there will be a few who can't understand how to use it because of language or other challenges.

    I agree that technology skills are essential to work in a library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! virtual reference! I had not heard of that before. I will miss the face to face interaction but I also understand that it cuts down on valuable time for staff to work on other job duties.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it is unnerving to have computers replace staff in the places we are used to seeing people. With limited budgets, however, it is nice to have an extra "team" to perform the repetitive tasks so the real brains can help with the really tricky questions. LOVE virtual reference 'cause you don't feel like you're imposing on a computer in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete