Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Library Technology, is it replacing people?

There is no way around it, technology is a big part of any library in this age. Each year the technology advances and is used as a resource to the library system. I work in an elementary school library, and we utilize technology even with our limited budget and resources. Currently I feel that technology enhances the service I am able to give my students and staff.
The most frequently used technology is the online catalog system. The students have access to computers and are able to search for any books they would like using title, author, subject or keyword. This service helps make the students independent and allows me to help more students in the short amount of time we have together. Another technology used in the library is online reference materials such as dictionaries and encyclopedias. The children use these resources so much I am seeing the loss of reference book skills, which is scary for someone like me who was raised on reference books, not computers.
Overall I see these new technologies as a benefit for my library, and myself. I don't see these technologies replacing me, but I do see them being used to make me more efficient. The students still have trouble using the technology, finding books and often ask my for my opinion and recommendation, which a computer can't do! But I would be remiss to add that in light of these tough budget times, and the possible reduction of elementary library services, I am worried someday these services could work me out of a job, or at least a full-time position!

No comments:

Post a Comment