Friday, February 11, 2011

Literature for Young People

Being a middle school librarian, I get to read many of the books that come into my library. I make a point of reading anything that is popular with the kids so I can talk to them about the books. I also read anything that catches my eye when I'm out putting books away or entering new books into the computer. I"ve compared some of the books out there from generations past with what is being written and read today and I have to say, with a few exceptions, writers are much better today at getting kids fired up about reading. I believe just in the past decade, some of the best pre-teen/teen/young adult novels have been written. Books now not only entertain (Harry Potter, Alex Rider, Maximum Ride, etc) but they make kids think and open the lines of discussion on a variety of hot topics - date rape/Speak, alcohol & drugs/Forged by Fire, suicide/Thirteen Reasons Why - because let's face it, this is what pre-teens, teenagers and young adults are talking about.
I like that I can recommend books to my kids on just about anything that may interest them. I like that I find myself not only entertained when I read many of these books, but I'm asking myself questions, too. It opens up the lines of communication with my own kids because I'll read a book with a hot topic and bring it up at home to them and we'll all discuss it around the dinner table.
I do know there is a lot of drivel out there, books so not worth anyone's time that I wonder how they got published. But I do think there are enough good writer's continuing to spark young reader's interest and challenge them to think.

1 comment:

  1. I think the Harry Potter series is interesting for adults as well as for kids. In fact a lot of the popular books for kids that I have read recently are well written and enjoyable. I recently read Guardians of G'Hoole's first book and thought it was interesting not just as a story but was well researched so the behaviors and descriptions of the owls was accurate. Although there are books intended for either girl or boy audiences often they are great for both.

    ReplyDelete